The body needs cholesterol, and not all forms of cholesterol are dangerous. Cholesterol comes from two sources: our body and our food. Our liver and other cells in our body make about 75 percent of blood cholesterol. The other 25 percent comes from the foods that we eat.
There are two types of cholesterol:good and bad. Too much of one type - or not enough of another can put you at risk for coronary heart disease., heart attack or stroke.
Low-density lipoprotein or LDL is known as bad cholesterol. High-density lipoprotein or HDL is known a the good cholesterol. When too much LDL cholesterol circualates in the blood, it can slowly build up plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known a atherosclerosis. On the other hand, high density lipoprotein or HDL cholesterol actually protects us from heart attacks.
Cells throughout the body use cholesterol to make a number of hormones necessary for growth and reproduction. When there is damage to the walls of the arteries or veins, the liver sends cholesterol through the blood to protect the tissue from hemorrhaging. Cholesterol is a component of all cell walls. They are viatal to proper brain and nerve function . LOw levels of cholesterol have been associated with deppression , anxiety and mood disorder. Cholesterol is also an essential ingredient of bile salts produced in the liver, used to emulsify fats and excrete fat-soluble toxins.
Bauman, Ed and Mclaughlin, Marsha. The Truth About Cholesterol.http://www.shareguide.com/cholesterol.html
Lee, Dennis. The Truth About Cholesterol. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=14419
LDL and HDL Cholesterol: What's Good and What's Bad?http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=180
Bato Balani ISSN 0117-7052 Vol.28 N0.5 SY 2008-2009
50 Incredibly Weird & Wonderful Facts
3 days ago